Saturday, October 18, 2008

Adjusting to the Philippines

  • Hey Family, The food is not the best in the world and I'm already sick of rice. The house I live in is 24x24 super small and really gross. Already I have killed 4 cockroaches and its just crazy. Mom get this, no toilet paper. You have to use a bucket with a handle and then use soap wash then rinse. Crazy huh. but its really not that bad. You just get used to going before a shower then its not that bad. Oh and no warm water. Cold only, its nice at night coming in from a hot day but in the morning -not. I sweat all day and all night no matter what. I just carry around a rag and deal with it.
  • I wash all my clothes by hand. Could you ever believe That I would do this stuff? But I'm still alive . The people love my name Loveless. They talk to me all day about it and say how it is rare and everything.
  • The people here are so humble. They literally live in a clay box. Just one little room like ten feet square, with six people there. But they are really nice and the kids are so cute. There is one little girl named Genesis and I think she is 6 but she is my favorite.
  • We watched General Conference this weekend it was so good. Lots of good information and everything. I know the church is true, but it is so different here. The church we go to has little plastic seats in the chapel we sit on and there is no carpet anywhere in the Philippines.
  • The people are a little rowdy, its just different from home. They don't wear white shirts, the bishop or anybody, they just wear something that looks nice.
  • We are going to the mountains next week for an activity so that will be fun.
  • I have lost weight and my pants don't fit me anymore so I need to get some pants made for me and getting my scriptures and preach my gospel leather bound. I will send pictures then you will understand why.
  • So far everything is going OK I guess but a lot to get used to and just get over. Love Brett

  • So as Bretts mother I feel bad he is going through such cultural shock. I want to be there and make it easier for him. But I also know this is the Lords way of tempering him and making it easier to love the people he is there to serve. I love Brett and all missionaries who find the world is made of someone other than ourselves. I have to F.r.o.g.(Fully rely on God). (Thanks Jennylin)

4 comments:

Ali said...

mom, your blog looks cute! Keep up the good work!

cleo cheney said...

Shari, Great to hear from you. Time just passes by so fast doesnt it? These blogs are such a neat way to update friends and family. Your family looks so good and all grown up. Stay in touch ok. My email is cleocheney@yahoo.com id love to hear from ya, kevin and marcy

Mike and Linda Bringhurst said...

Thanks for the update on Brett and listing his email address. We will drop his a note and keep up with him on your blog.
love, linda

Bringhurst Family said...

Very cool to hear about Brett's mission. Sounds similar to Brazil. Hand washing, no hot water, no carpet, loud church, etc. Although we did have TP. Soon he will love the rice. Main thing is he seems to already love the people.

Brandon